Thursday, May 29, 2008

What a day!

So many things are winding down because summer vacation is almost here but there are so many things that need to get done right away (forms to fill out, projects, etc.)--- Today was a crazy day for Grier and I--- As I think about it now that he is asleep-- I can not believe he did so well with all that we did today--

Today was the last day of preschool--- I truly think he will miss going. He looked forward to going and talked about what he did that day for days after!
After school, we went to clinic for a HAMA blood test--- not a favorite activity for either of us-- he got through it with only a few tears-- Sharon, Dawn and Jennifer were trying really hard to distract him-- but he is smart enough now to remember what will happen after the "magic" cream aka lidacane goes on his port-- We went to lunch... lost the parking deck ticket--- jumped through CMC red tape to get a free pass to get out of the deck....went to Kinko's to mail the blood to NYC ( a new guy helped me so we will say a prayer it gets there in time!)...went to Centura to get forms notarized ( and met some really nice people that recognized my go grier go bracelet... see there is "power in a bracelet!"--- and then asked if that was "Grier"!! He entertained them for a little bit-)... dropped off a generic form of Accutane to exchange for the brand name version at Walgreens.... picked up Hayes and Grace... went to swim team ...... dinner.... gas.... and back to Walgreens...then sat in the parking lot on the phone with insurance arguing the cost of the accutane ($8 vs. $354.00)-- apparently the BRAND name is REALLY expensive and I have only been charged for generic in NY but always given the BRAND name! Any other time I would not care about generic but size matters this time--- Grier is 3-- he swallows 3 pills a day the size of a jelly belly-- the generic version is larger-- the size of a Mike and Ike or a Hot Tamale! So I am trying to reason with them and they really do not care-- So-- I end up eating the difference and telling the woman I will appeal it! I have gotten good at doing that-- :) Again it was one of those times-- I thought.. Did she just hear me say my 3 year takes this for a cancer treatment--???
AM I making you tired yet?????
I am sure a lot of you had this same day (maybe with or w/o the medical drama!)-- I did think a few times that May is like December--- it is hard to slow down and enjoy the end of school when there is so much that has to be done--- And since cloning is not an option --- I guess we all continue to do it !

We should hear from MSKCC by Tuesday night--- I will call them on Wednesday morning just to be sure --- I am assuming if he is HAMA negative-- we will head to NYC on June 8th ( yes-- his 4th birthday) and be there for a week of 3F8-- Of course -- All of this is based on his HAMA test result--

That is it for now-- Thanks to all that bought a GGG T-shirt--- And to Kerri for organizing all of it--- A teacher had one on at school today and some of the kids said... "I have that sticker on my car!" I also forgot to thank Leslie Ford for printing tattoos--- that say Go Grier Go-- I have seen lots of kids with them on! Awareness is the only thing going to change the outcome of Neuroblastoma--- !

FYI--- if you have not heard yet about this news that will also bring more awareness -

September 13, 2008 will now be recognized as 'National Childhood Cancer Awareness Day' as a result of a Senate resolution introduced by U.S. Senators Wayne Allard (R-Colo.) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll just add "WOW...What a day!" I certainly have had days like yours; however, the urgency and difficulty of the medical issues you face were not so prominent in my days like yours. I am ever-amazed at your stamina, Grier's tolerance and your family's resilience through the last year and 2 months. I pray for lazy summer days and long evening walks with no more treatments, blood draws, creams that cost a billion dollars and maybe throw in an ice cream or two for good measure :)
You are a dear family who surely will appreciate life without NB! I pray for this each day for your family...mostly for Grier that he may know a childhood that doesn't involve such pain and bravery.
Bless you all as you go to sleep this evening knowing that so many care for your family and Grier's well-being! The power of the wristband and prayer is indeed great!
Sleep well...
Love,
Dina

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had a busy day. I am so thankful that my oldest can drive now and that saves me a lot of the running you are talking about. We had years of club swimming (11months a year) as well as summer swim teams, baseball and travel soccer and I would feel as though we were constantly driving somewhere. As the boys have gotten older they have given up some sports and now we focus on swimming with some cross country thrown in when fall comes.

We are headed to Rockville, Maryland (outside of DC) for a big swim meet this weekend. It's the first of the year in a long course (50 meter) pool. Once next week
hits our oldest will start swim team at the pool where he works as a lifeguard and coach, our youngest will start with our neighborhood team and they will both continue to swim on our club team. At least one of them will have meets every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday through most of June and July and when we have a club team meet it can add a Friday and Sunday in that mix. The boys love swimming and I love watching them but it gets crazy after a few weeks of this schedule. At least the summer meets are outside and we can get some fresh air as opposed to the winter meets in stuffy pools with poor ventilation!

I will think of you this weekend and hope for good news when the test results come back next week. I hope you can relax a little this weekend - you deserve it after a day like you had today.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I know we all say "Go Grier Go". Well today I want to say "Go Amy Go". You have been in our prayers over the past few days as we pray for a negative HAMA test tomorrow. We are so glad Grier got back to preschool this year and also really enjoyed it. Our love, thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Nancy Williams

Unknown said...

OK, since you've mentioned the t-shirt I was wearing at school, I guess it's time for me to come out of the closet and quite being a "lurker"! It's been so nice seeing you and Grier at school this past month. I finally have a face to go with your name. And although I will not see you for a while, be assured that I will continue to think and pray for Grier and your family, as I did before I ever saw you. Your postings have given me inspiration and I look forward to more good news these coming months!

Take care,
Stephanie Brenner

Mary Ellen Paine said...

You are unbelievable. I had to take a nap just hearing about all you have done and yet with a smile on your face.
Hope you get a little down time soon.
I am going to miss seeing Billy Madison at school. Guess I will have to search you out other ways.
Elizabeth is wearing her T-shirt when she runs. Also spending her running time counting car magnets.
I will keep my many prayers going for good HAMA results.
Lots of Love to you,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

You, Grier, and your whole family never cease to amaze me with all the things you do -- good thing you are young! I know I had days like that when all ours were at home, but it makes me wonder how I kept up the pace year after year!

Thanks for the personal t-shirt delivery by the little guy -- always a treat to see him! 4-year-old birthday coming up soon -- I remember the day he was born when Jeff came to pick up Hayes at school and told us that Grier was here! And who can believe that Hayes is 7 days from being a 5th grader!!!!

Hope your time at the beach was fun and a little relaxing. I guess it's on to summer now!

Am praying for HAMA negative so you can get back to NYC for another treatment! Who thought we'd be praying to go back to NYC??

Love to you all tonight,

Betty G

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's