Friday, August 15, 2008

How is Grier doing???

OK-- I know most of you check this blog to see how Grier is doing-- and I have forgotten to post that the last few times so I will try to catch everyone up!! I promise I will not do too many PSA's on this post!

Grier went to the clinic last Friday just to have his port flushed-- I say "JUST"-- but actually it is a big deal if you have ever had to watch it-- I told him in the morning after breakfast-- because I knew that would ruin his appetite--- He started to ask lots of questions and we put the "magic cream" on his button--- I know-- some of you have no idea what I am talking about-- but anyway-- we ( all 4 of us)-- headed to the clinic and the discussion in the car was about being brave-- Mostly led by Hayes--- which I know amuses some of you-- :)-- Grier was a little more relaxed and not so anxious so I was hopeful this would be a quick trip-- Grier has a game face -- I guess we both do at this point-- he tends to be shy and ignore people and I tend to have that "grin" on my face! They called him back and the nurse came in with all her supplies-- Grier sat on my lap-- and clinched his face into a "grin" and it was over---Yes... we made it with no screaming and kicking! I did have them draw a tube of blood so I could send it to NY for HAMA #'s-- I was relived and started to pack up and then....GRACE--- said she didn't feel good-- I looked at her and she had no color in her face-- Our nurse quickly got her something to drink and sat her down--- She was fine after a few minutes--- We had a few laughs about it later-- I had to tell her how many times I have done that in my life and she was OK with it!

This week we had to go back to the clinic for a doctor's visit--- really a check-up.... or --"this is what we have done in NY for the last few months and here he is in person kinda visit!!" Grier was so much more relaxed because he knew his port did not have to be accessed --- It made the visit entertaining for some--- I am not sure they have seen the real Grier in a long time! He has gained weight-- he is now up to 35lbs-- and grew a tiny bit in height--- I asked about it and I was reminded that Jeff and I are not tall--- really did not need that reminder-- KNOW that all too well! We talked about what we do NOW--- I am not a fan of sitting and waiting--- but that is what we are going to do-- Dr. M will call NY and see what the tests said about immunizations-- once again there are two schools of thoughts about re-immunizations--- so we talked out that-- I was reminded that we chose to go "the NY way" --( And if we had to choose again -- it would be the same decision!)-- And to sum up the visit--- he looks good! He has the green light to go to preschool-- and we will do monthly check ups in Charlotte- We will go back in 3 weeks and have a check-up and get his port flushed-- In Oct. (first week)-- we will go to NY for a full work-up-- So.. that is it on the medical front---

Just one bit of information regarding the CureSearch walk on Nov.15th-- I have had some questions about how to join the team online---- I think it is a bit confusing too-- so I hope this helps--
Go to www.milestoneswalk.org
click CHARLOTTE walk
go to join a team
you can put in the % sign and hit search and the teams should come up---
Then you should see Go,Grier,Go---- it has to be just like this or it will not show up
click join when you see the name
It then will prompt you to do a page-- I think it is $10 to walk and it says you have to have a minimum of $200 as your goal-- They will not hold you to this-- But if you or anyone plans to walk you must be registered-- Also-- for the friends and supporters that are out of town-- you can join the team as a virtual walker---

I hope that helps-- I know it still sounds confusing-
Thanks to all that are working on helping-- Posters are being put out and sponsors have been recruited!!
Enjoy the last fews days of summer break---
AVC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update! I'm glad that flushing the port wasn't as traumatic as it might have been. That's great about his being cleared to go to preschool. Hope you all have a wonderful beginning to the school year.

Alice A.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Grier is doing well. We are back at preschool setting up our rooms for the return of students next week and I have been thinking about Grier. I saw an article in our local paper today about childhood cancer research. The link is as follows:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080826/HEALTH/808260324/1113

I am glad that money is being given to further research and hopefully find a cure very soon. Hope the start of the school year goes smoothly for you and your family.

Patti

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's