Monday, August 4, 2008






I can not believe it is August!! Our time at home is flying by as well as summer! -- I guess because we are staying so busy--- The kids and I went to HHI with the Caldwells last week- Jeff came down for the weekend to enjoy the craziness! - As you can see from the pictures Grier had a great time-- He took his last Accutane pill ( hopefully!) on Sunday and we were very careful when were out in the sun-- it did not take long for him to burn even with SPF 70-- I think we spent more time applying "scumscream" than actual time in the sun-- Oh Well!-- we made it all week with skin intact and not burned-- Before we went, he WAS a little cautious around water but after this week I can safely say he will need some swim lesson ASAP-- He was crazy in the water-- trying to copy everyone he saw--! When we asked him what his favorite part was-- he said... The boat ride (we went on a dolphin watch), The Deer Hunts ( a Caldwell tradition!), Putt-Putt, swimming, bike riding, and going to the beach and seeing some "star fishes"--- as you can see we were busy! So busy that for a brief moment we almost forgot about the last year! I did lose a little sleep when he woke up at 3am and threw up-- but he quickly fell asleep and I just waited for more--.... he ended up sleeping until 10am that morning-- who knows WHY?-- but it does bring back memories of how all of this started- And of course-- I was reminded when my phone rang and it was Memorial Sloan- Kettering....My stomach almost dropped because I had no idea why they would be calling--- All they had to tell me was that we are scheduled for scans the week of Oct. 6th---Ahhh! Didn't they know I was on vacation from all of that!

This week-- we need to go to our clinic here in Charlotte-- I think I will have them do a HAMA blood test so we can send it off-- just to see if his numbers have decreased-- I also just want to touch base with the Doctors here so we are all on the same page-- That is about it on the medical front--

Thanks to all that donated to The Band of Parents--- Since I have some downtime now-- I am going to be working on getting the word out ( you may get sick of reading soon!!)--- Pediatric Cancer Funds need to be raised-- I am also working on some other things and have been offered some help by Senator Rucho-- NC can do more for families dealing with this-

Thanks for checking in on Grier--- Please remember our friends, Isabella and Liam, who are fighting really hard right now--



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I am so glad you all got to forget for a little while all that has happened to your family in the past year. I am sure the kids are not looking forward to the end of summer - it's hard to believe that school starts in a few short weeks.

My youngest son and I are headed to Rockville, Maryland tomorrow for our final swim meet of the season. We will be back on Saturday (yes, it's a 4 day meet!). I promised him we would go if he qualified for it and sure enough he qualified for the maximum number of events so we are headed south! My older son gets his wisdom teeth out tomorrow so we are hoping for no complications. He and his Dad are then doing a college road trip later in August to look at 6 southern colleges (he only wants to go south, no northern schools for him!).

You are truly an inspiration the way you have gotten so involved in the fight against childhood cancer. I pray that more money is allocated for that cause. I will surely keep Grier, Isabella and Liam in my prayers and I hope things continue to go well for you and your family. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

Patti

Patti

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous post!!!! I love the photos and the fact that you were able to have some normal family fun for once! I can't believe the year you've had, so you were due that vacation time!

We love you all!
Anne Steppe

Anonymous said...

Amy,
What a fantastic summer you all are having! So glad you're experiencing life as it should be...you all so deserve that. Sounds like Grier is having an awesome time...so thankful for the end of Accutane, at least for the time being.
We've been out of town for nearly 2 weeks now...I'm ready to get home...and we'll be headed home on Thursday. Still hoping we will be able get together this summer and go to the pool or lunch and play at park. I have not checked my email since I've gone...will hope to hear from you soon; however, understand if you are entirely too busy...REALLY!!!
Glad you're enjoying summer and the slower (?) pace of Chlt living.
Tons of love to you all...
Dina

Mary Ellen Paine said...

I love the pictures. He looks so great and so happy. Hope all Christenburys are feeling the same way.
Summer is going too fast. I am happy you got to the beach and Jeff also made it.
I pray daily for Isabella and Liam when I am praying for sweet Grier.
Enjoy this time,
Lots of Love,
Mary Ellen

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's