Sunday, September 7, 2008


Have you seen any gold ribbons lately??? I think it is almost hard to believe that there so little information about Childhood Cancer Awareness Month--- SEPTEMBER is Childhood Cancer Awareness month--! I keep hoping I will read the Charlotte Observer and see it on the front page-- or turn on the news and see a PSA about it-- but I have not! I will keep hoping!! I read about someone who was asked about the gold ribbon-- she knew what pink stood for but she did not know what yellow stood for-- I bet with more publicity no one would have to ask that question---

The Milestones Walk in November is going to be really big--- we need more teams to register- I would love to see teams from schools in our area form a team in support of children- Private, Public, Charter, or preschools--- it does not matter-- Just start a (team ETES, MPTS, Selywn, Eastover, Sharon, AG, Carmel, CCDS, Latin, PDS, Charlotte Christian, Trinity, St.Patrick's, St. Gabe's... I could keep going but we all know there are too many Charlotte area schools to name!!!) and raise funds for pediatric cancer research-- I am hoping to see some new TEAMS formed in the next week-- I bet there is not a school in the area that has not been affected directly or indirectly!

Since I am hoping for so much these days --- I thought I would share this poem that I read off Julia's site--

I HOPE...

I hope you never have to hear the words, 'Your child has cancer.'

I hope you never have to hear, 'The prognosis is not good.'

I hope you never have to prepare your child to undergo radiation or chemotherapy, have a port surgically inserted into their chest, be connected to IV poles.

I hope you never have your child look at you with fear in their eyes and say, 'Don't worry Mommy, everything will be okay.'

I hope you never have to hold your child as they vomit green bile.

I hope you never have to feed them ice chips for lunch.

I hope you never have to watch the 'cure' you pray for slowly take away their identity, as they

lose their hair,

become skeletal,

swell up from steroids,

develop severe acne,

become barely or unable to walk or move,

and look at you with hope in their eyes and say,

'It's going to be okay, Mommy.'

I hope that you never have to stay in the hospital for weeks, months, or years at a time, where there is no privacy, sleeping on a slab, with your face to the wall, where you cry in muffled silence.

I hope you never have to see a mother, alone, huddled, in a dark hospital corridor...crying quietly, after just being told, 'There is nothing more we can do.'

I hope you never have to watch a family wander aimlessly, minutes after their child's body has been removed.

I hope you never have to use every bit of energy you have left, with all of this going on around you to remain positive, and the feelings of guilt, sorrow, hope and fear, overwhelm you.

I hope you never have to see a child's head bolted to the table as they receive radiation.

I hope you never have to take your child home (grateful but so afraid) in a wheelchair because the chemo and radiation has damaged their muscles, 35 pounds lighter, pale, bald, and scarred.

And they look at you with faith in their eyes and say, 'It's going to be okay Mommy.'

I hope you never have to face the few friends that have stuck beside you and hear them say, 'Thank God that is over with,'...because you know it never will be.

Your life becomes a whirl of doctors, blood tests and MRI's and you try to get your life back to 'normal'.

While living in mind-numbing fear that any one of those tests could result in hearing the dreaded words...

'The cancer has returned' or 'The tumor is growing.'

And your friends become even fewer.

I hope you never have to experience any of these things...Because...only then...

Will you understand...

(author unknown)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can we get gold ribbons?

Betty G

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Thanks for sharing that very powerful poem. I will share it with many and encourage folks to help the fight for kids!!

Thanks,
Stephanie G.

Anonymous said...

If you can bring gold ribbons to the Rec. Wing we can put them out with reg. forms for the team.

Anne

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's