Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grier made it through this round of chemo .... he had one moment that he needed the "pink Bucket" and right after wanted me to go on "a chick fil a run"-- for breakfast.  Really hard to believe .... I was getting ready to leave the room to get him breakfast and making sure he had the "nurse" button in case he needed something and his "pink bucket" and our Nurse came in the give him some kind of medicine-- and Grier told her I was leaving and proceeded to say he always stays by himself at the hospital--- Our nurse was funny and said "really Grier"--- you always have someone here unless you want chick-fil-a!   He did nap a few times in the hospital... but I am not sure that was chemo or just being tired from being up all night for two nights... he has not napped since we have been home.  We were discharged on Thursday around 1--- he got his dose of topetecan and zofran.... and then he lead the way out the door to the car-- Dr. McMahon asked us that morning if we wanted to go home... and I asked him if people say "no" to that question?  He laughed and said .. yes... sometimes... I actually was thinking about saying no-- It would have made life a little easier to have someone come play with Grier at the hospital on Thursday night and Friday as we went to the visitation and funeral..... but I knew he wanted to come home.  We had our favorite nurses during this stay and they made staying in room 1 feel like "home"-- They even played card games with Grier and talked baseball into the early morning hours...   Dr. M even gave Grier a dollar for his tooth that he lost----- I think it was because G flashed that toothless smile every time he came in to check on him!!!

Luckily, Hayes and Grace kept busy this week.... sometimes they were with us at the hospital.... or at orthodontists appts.....or swimming with friends... hanging out at home... or with Maclean....  When I had to leave for the orthodontist appt that I had cancelled once before because of a "fever stay" a friend said... wow.. you still have to do "normal life" like the rest of us and the "hospital life"--- yep... she was right...

Thursday night he wanted to be with all of us at the funeral home for Mimi's visitation so he got dressed and went with us and made it for about an hour--- I think he finally got a little tired by 8pm.... It was nice to see the family and friends that came and visited.  We woke up very early on Friday so we could get to the clinic early (8:30 is when they open) and get his chemo started and done so I could get to the funeral.  Grier stayed home with Susanne... and was pretty excited about that... As soon as we pulled in the driveway from chemo he was ready for a bike ride around the lake!  My mom brought him to the church for the lunch after the service and from that point he has not slowed down..... As you can tell... he does not like to be left out of family things.... and since "house arrest" will start soon I want him to be included as much as possible ---

He asked me yesterday if he had to go to the doctor today and I said no... he was so excited he had two days off!  We will go on Monday to check and see what his counts are and I am assuming we will start the daily shots to boost his white blood count.  I also will be emailing NYC to see what the "plan" is for the next step of treatment.... I am ready to go to NYC... we have not been since the first of May.  Hopefully we can get a plan set and going so we can get back before school starts.... I want him to be at school on the first day... I hope I will be able to say we have a date of departure someday next week.  I know it wont be in the next week or so because we are not going to travel with low counts.... but it will be soon after --

Today we went to Grace's soccer game and Jeff and Grier met us later in the day.... He loves being out there.... even if it is 100 degrees.... On the way home he told me he wanted me to sign him up for soccer--- and he wants to pick his friends that are on his team.... hmmm... never heard a request like that before! I am a little nervous about signing up until after NYC-- Did that last year and only made it to the last game....  It would be cheaper to just buy a jersey online :)

Other than feeling well and trying to play catch up at home -- we are hanging in there--  Someday I am going to take the time to write a blog about all the crazy things Grier comes up with---  I am thinking he might be ready to Make-A-Wish--- So far we could give him every HOT Wheels Car and Monster Truck he "wished" for---Now He wants Jeff to get a MUSTANG---- which cracks me up---- and when he spots one on the road he goes nuts... I told him he could not drive until he was 16-- and he said I don't want to get my license .. I want you to drive me around FOREVER~  He is also really into fighter jets now-- he has a costume picked out for Halloween and keeps asking "if Halloween is close?" I guess it depends on who you ask... the retail world or the real world!  Yeah I know these are not wishes for make-a wish...... but he is getting closer to figuring out what he likes.... He certainly is having fun being "6" and knows so much more than when he was "5"--- We were talking about his birthday party... yes.. it has not been done yet...hopefully before school starts... it would be nice to get a plan from NYC-- do the first treatment... and CELEBRATE big before kindergarten starts----

This has been a crazy summer... it is going by quickly... I would be lying if I said it I didn't wish Grier was in camp, going to the pool ( yes.. we are still members of OP~ just don't get to go much) and my biggest worry was "who is going to be his teacher".... but Grier is still smiling and not complaining  so crazy is the way it is going to be for awhile..... and the PTA, pool and everything that I wish I had time for can wait----

Thanks for the continued support... I was surprised about how many people still read this blog....
Maybe next week when we are here on house arrest I will update pictures....  I need to get our wii fixed before next week too--- or it will really be a long week..... so many wishes are in this post.... but my wish is for the "nutrepenic fever" to stay away so we can skip another long hospital stay.... We have a 20% chance that this will happen -- I have not cared about odds yet..... so surely not going to start this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy
I have followed this blog since the begining. My children and I pray for Grier always.
We have a couple of little friends here are are fighting the same fight.....neuroblastoma and leukemia.

After reading Gretchen's note on your blog I decided it was time to do more than just pray. We are organizing a HUGE bake sale here in Greenville, SC in October. I have to say our goal is to beat the amount ya'll raised in Charlotte. Might as well aim high!

I am not sure I would have ever gotten around to it if it wasn't for Grier, your blog and Gretchen's post.

Can't wait to let you know how we do. We have joined the army and will not rest until there are no ingredients left to bake cookies.

Much love and big prayers
Laura Black
greenville, sc

Amy Christenbury said...

Hey Laura--- Thanks for helping the fight--- I love notes like this---

I didn't have your email so I hope you see this---
Thanks--

Amy

ps-- we know some kids in Greenville-- I wonder if they are the same ones?

Jennie said...

These pictures of you and Grier are absolutely beautiful. I keep reading and then paging up so I can look at them again. I hope all goes well today at the clinic.

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's