Monday, June 9, 2008

Today started BRIGHT and early--- around 6am!!! Not bad unless you go to bed after 12am!--- Grier fell back to sleep for another hour and then... I woke to " Can you turn that down?"-- I am assuming he was talking about the street cleaners-- the loud motorcycle that drove by etc.!!! We left the RMDH around 9-- he chose Lenny's for breakfast--- surprised? Well-- I was when he ordered a turkey sandwich!-- I didn't care-- because I knew that was going to be the best meal for him today-- I tried to walk around NY but it was too HOT-- we went back to the Ronald-- and hung out and waited to go to Clinic--- The hardest part of the day was the anxiety he had about what we were going to do at the clinic--- he was worried about the shot-- being accessed and the list goes on-- the finger prick is always at the top of the list!!!

We finally got there at 12:15--- and I heard the morning shift had not started yet-- so we hung out in the playroom!!! Yes-- you heard me right!! The germaphobe went into the playroom! After trying to figure out a game on their wii-- we were called back to be cleared for 3F8-- they said he looks good--- Grier cried the almost the whole time--- occasionally telling Ursula about something-- HOMERUN derby... his Birthday etc.--- but he was tired and not used to doing this-- it has been since mid-April! He has gained weight-- and gotten a bit taller!! After all the talking--- we checked in with Kasey-- our nurse for the day-- I told her I needed help to give the GM shot-- and she did it for me and accessed him--- not fun-- he hates both--- but something we have to do! He fell asleep soon after all that-- and around 3:30-- we finally started 3F8--- He had LOTS of pain---he woke up 15 minutes into and his pain lasted 35 minutes-- he did get sick and I called for help-- Kasey hung out with me until the flush finished! He recieved all 4 rescues today-- which is a first-- tomorrow they will change it up a bit due to his increase in weight--

We left around 6-- walked back and he slept a little while-- he woke up in a fairly pleasant mood-- and we went to the playroom at the Ronald-- yes-- I said that AGAIN-- and played the "boat" video game-- I have tried to talk him into eating but he is not interested-- he did want a coke-- so we took a walk to Duane Reades-- Gristedes ( the closest grocery store has closed!!) Right now, he is awake--watching a movie and having residual leg pain-- I am shocked he has done so well since today was so hard! The one good thing about today was he was able to tell us exactly what was hurting-- so we could put hot packs on it-- and he even asked for medicine-- all while he was doing his breathing exercise-- It must be because he is 4 now! :)

So-- we are done with the first day--

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
So glad today is done. Grier is just a stellar child! Can hardly imagine how your morning conversation went on and on about what exactly was going to happen once you got to the hospital. Same questions over and over each time you're having to give a bit more information presented in a slightly different, albeit positive, fashion. Bless you both!
Our exciting day entailed Mitch having his first tooth loss of a top front tooth. He fell on his mouth over a year ago and lately the tooth had become darker. Dr Brittain saw him a few weeks ago and said to leave well enough alone...we did. Until Saturday when I noticed an abscess on the gum above the tooth. Well, needless to say, he now has a slightly toothless grin. He has put his tooth under the pillow in hopes that the Tooth Fairy will come...woohoo!! Glad I'm writing to you as I may have forgotten otherwise.
I have been folding and packing all evening as Abby & I will depart tomorrow at 5:30am from our house. It's near midnight and I've only packed for her and still need to put clothes away for the boys. Looks like a late night for me.
I sure hope your evening/overnight goes well...sleep for both Grier and Mom :)
Thinking of you here with love and lots of prayers! GO GRIER GO :)
Dina (not checking spelling, forgive me)

Anonymous said...

Off to wake Abby to get to CCDS for our 6am bus to the Outer Banks. Still thinking of you and Grier, hoping your night was long & peaceful.
Lots of love...
Dina

Mary Ellen Paine said...

Sorry it was so rough. I will pray for an easier day today. It amazes me how well he handles all of this. And you too. I bet it is hot there because it is here. They said a break is coming on Wednesday. I hope N.Y. is cooler then too.
Please know we are with you today even though we are not there. You are never far from our hearts.
Lots of Love,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
Wow, I hope that yesterday was the longest day for you and that the increased meds will help Grier today. It is awesome to hear he is growing, gaining weight in spite of all the medical procedures...
love to you both, hope the cooler weather reaches NYC tonight as well..
Isabel :+}

Anonymous said...

Glad day 1 is over. I'm glad to know I am not the only germaphope around. My Mom was rushed to the E.R. yesterday by ambulance and the E.R. was packed (people in all rooms, hallways and the waiting area). Everyone was really sick and I was afraid to touch anything or breathe in any germs. I wanted to wear a mask and rubber gloves but my 17 year old was with me and he would have been mortified!!! I just didn't want my mom or any of the rest of us to pick up anything else. My mom was severely dehydrated from this awful heat and she also had a major artery blocked so they did a cardiac cath and inserted her 2nd stent today. She is almost 83 and that's a tough procedure for someone her age. We are all praying it goes well. She will stay at the hospital at least another day - I am just hoping they make sure all is okay before they send her home. She is in the brand new heart center at Christiana Hospital and everything is state of the art - it's preety cool - touch screen TV's and talking elevators!

I am keeping Grier in my thoughts as well and hope you are all coping with the heat and getting plenty to drink and staying in the air conditioning whenever possible. I hope today goes well for you and I will check the blog tonight when I get back from the hospital.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Give Grier an extra hug! We are praying for him to have a better day today and for you all to get some rest!

I wore my Go Grier Go t-shirt today and see tons of cars around town with the Go Grier Go magnet on them - pretty cool - you all have one loved little man there!

All our love for all of you,
Anne Steppe

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it through the first day yesterday! Hope today is going more easily for you. The girls and I went to Alex's lemonade stand in Baxter on Saturday. We are thinking about you even when we don't post.

Alice Arwood

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's