Tuesday, June 10, 2008

*** Last week the PDH held their annual prom for the kids-- it was on ABC News World tonight--- very cute story! There are a lot of familiar faces in the video--- Recently, Sloan was ranked one of the top Children's Cancer Hospital-- watching the video will help to see why!!!
Cancer Patients Celebrate Their Lives at Prom
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5040470&page=1


We are back at the RMDH--- today was almost as long --- and the pain was just as bad-- he had 2 larger dilaudid pain rescues today--- and almost got a 3rd! The Dr. is pleased with pain like that-- as he said... it is good to see him in the morning acting like nothing has happened and then to have pain like he is having means the antibody is doing something!! Let's Hope!

He is slowly coming out of his narcotic haze-- I would just like him to sleep normally tonight!! He went to sleep at midnight last night and was up by 3am-- telling me he could not sleep anymore!!! He fell back asleep at 5:45-- !!

So far -- Grier and I are fine in NY by ourselves-- we are so used to this it has almost become an easy transition--- The staff here is so good -- I am certainly not the first to do this w/o another adult-- people do this everyday-- and some live here separated from their families for a long time-- You do what you have to do!! We are missing Jeff -- but some of us must work!!

We are missing a lot at home--- the last day of school-- I have missed that the last two years!! Hayes and Grace seemed very excited about school today-- report cards were great-- and they got some awards-- not sure what kind yet-- hopefully I will find that out later!
Thursday... Hayes will turn 11!! He did tell me he would like to wait to celebrate his birthday when I get home!! That was nice--- I am feeling guilty that I am missing that too--

They had a little b-day party for Grier at the PDH today-- they had an ice cream cake and a couple of presents--- he did not want cake --- but has enjoyed the basketball game they gave him-- and a "REAL" baseball--

That is it for now-- I need to figure out what he wants for dinner-- if anything!! And I need to figure out the A/C in the room--- we are HOT!

Thanks for all the posts-- they are fun to read--- Do not worry about walking around NY-- I think are almost "NEW YORKERS!!" WE got stopped for directions the other day!!!!

7 comments:

Mary Ellen Paine said...

Sorry about so much pain but more pain greater success. I guess that must be hard to take when you have to watch your sweet boy. I am sure by now you look like a New Yorker. You have that way about you that people would think you have all the answers. They don't know the real Billy Madison.
I am sorry you are missing so much at home but I know they will be so happy when you are back on southern ground.
Another hot day today. Maybe some relief tomorrow. I hope you get that a/c to work.
We are thinking of you and praying all the time.
Take care of yourself and know that we are here if you need anything.
Lots of Love to you and Grier,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You and Grier continue to amaze me! New Yorkers indeed! We are thinking of you and praying for you all the time, no matter what city you're in!
Nuch love,
Martha M.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers continue for you each and every day. We are so glad that Grier is back in NYC getting addtional treatment and that all is going well. Love, Nancy Williams

Mary Ellen Paine said...

What a great video. Everyone needs to watch it. I will pray tonight for all those children to find some peace.
Thank you for sharing.
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

As they say, no pain -- no gain! So glad the pain is there because that means there are gains there too! I think the hardest thing would be for you to have to watch him in such pain. The beauty is that he doesn't seem to remember it the next morning. Wish I could say that about my "old lady" pains!!! So happy the doctors are pleased with how his treatment is going. MSKCC is the BEST!!

We continued to broil today -- ETES has been hot (the chiller has been out since Friday)so I know H&G were glad to be out today. I thought I would never cool down yesterday and I went to Target on the way home today to cool down (and to get Erin Hayles a gift for a shower on Thursday). I know their report cards were stellar, as they always are -- smart kids! Hard to believe that they are now 3rd and 5th graders!! Hope they will enjoy tomorrow -- sleeping in, chilling out, watching movies and TV, playing Wii, maybe swimming, etc. Summer fun is the best!

Hope you will get more rest tonight and that Grier won't wake at 3:45AM!!! And hope the AC is working well so you both will be comfy. Am thinking about you there and the rest of the family here and send love and prayers to you all tonight.

Hope tomorrow goes even better than yesterday and today --

Betty G

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Sounds like you are handling it all perfectly because you just do what you have to do. Who would have thought that this would all become a routine.
Grier continues to amaze me just marching back in the next day. I would be kicking and screaming at the sight of the door. I feel sure you must feel that way sometimes. We continue to light a candle for Grier every Sunday and the prayers are strong for all of you. I know you will be thrilled to get back home. Lets hope you got some sleep last night in a little cooler room. Please, you don't ask for much!!!!!

Love,
Stephanie G.

Anonymous said...

You and Grier amaze me. I don't see how you do it - such grace and courage. When I think I am having a tough day, I just remember you and your family and it immediately puts things back in perspective. Glad to hear Hayes and Grace did well in school and got some awards --- not surprising! I know Grier enjoyed his birthday celebration in NY. I think everyone should celebrate their special day as long as they can! Thinking of all of you! Lots of hugs and prayers from our house to yours!

Love,
Sally, Pete and Molly

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's