Saturday, July 19, 2008

Praise and Prayers!

I had to post this cute picture of the lemonade stand that these kids did all by themselves-- They did a great job-- Thanks Everybody!!


Grier finished a whole week of VBS-- he had a great time-- He brought home lots of stories about what happened during the day and I enjoyed every minute of it-- I even had more information ( a little too much at times!)-since Grace was with him all week-- While they were gone, Hayes and I were busy purging the attic-- At one point it looked like we were moving!! But it feels so good to "clean house " of so much clutter that had been ignored for 1 year!

I loved reading every one's excitement over Grier's latest test results-- It is a milestone-- I was looking at pictures on my computer and Grier said, "Hey .. who is that?"-- I told him that is you! Well-- he did not recognize himself without hair!! He quickly changed the subject and asked some other question!!

As we try to enjoy the next 90 days off treatment -- I still have a sick feeling when he says "my head hurts" or "my tummy hurts"-- knowing more often than not it is a normal childhood ache but remembering he is still a NB survivor and we are going to be living in 90 days intervals for a long time-


I do not normally post about kids we know-- but I had so many emails about this little boy last Fall when we were going to MSKCC for the first time-& I also received so many copies of the article in Parent's Magazine that showed a day in the life of Liam going through the all too familiar procedures at Sloan-- so I thought you would like to know.........
I would like to ask you all to say a prayer for a family that we have met-- and I am sure some of you remember him on TV ( GMA & CNN etc.) --his mom did the Cookies for a Cause campaign last December-- 96,000 cookies and $400,000 for research at MSKCC in two weeks ( and Liam was still in active treatment at the time!) and Parent's Magazine-- Liam Witt is a 4 year old whose story is just like Grier's-- he was diagnosed a few months earlier-- and basically was a text book case for NB-- He went through all treatments at MSKCC-- had surgery, radiation, and the optimal rounds of 3F8 before he HAMA'd - showed NED multiple times and he was there doing his 3 month scans last week with us and the CT scan saw a shadow above his kidney- After several extra tests-- the MIBG, PET scan, bone marrow, and urine were all clean, but there was still a small shadow that no one could explain-- so the NB team decided not to take any chances and go in surgically and look to see if it was scar tissue from his previous surgery-- And unfortunately it was not-- he had a dime sized tumor in the original location and it was NB-- It was removed yesterday and he is recovering-- He will begin a new treatment plan next week-- This is a strong family that is not only fighting for Liam but for all NB kids through their work with the Band of Parents-- And once again we are reminded that life can change in a minute without any warning-

6 comments:

Mary Ellen Paine said...

That picture is precious. I am saddened to hear about Liam. I will pray for he and his family and hope that he will recover quickly. As his mom has made a difference in the world of NB you are doing the same.
Always thinking of someone else.
I will continue to pray for all of you and keep Liam's family and the Christenbury's close to my heart.
Stay well,
Lots of love,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Indeed, Amy, Grier's story is one that will live in our hearts forever. As he is NED now, we will continue to pray for scans, urine tests and results NBfree. As for sweet Liam and his family, of course we will pray for them that they will keep the faith and continued strength to fight NB. Know that you are all making a difference in so many lives making us more aware that life can change in a blink. We appreciate what your family and so many others have been through...thank you for opening our eyes.
Nothing but love for you all here at our house!
Prayers to remain NED...
Dina

Anonymous said...

I will keep Liam in my prayers. We had an Alex's Lemonade Stand in our neighborhood and we stopped twice!! I hope things continue to go well for your family.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Like the new look...yes, I still check daily even though I know you're not posting every day...no need to. I guess it's just my way of keeping Grier in thoughts and prayers and in the forefront of my mind each day! Hope you are having a great week. Thinking of you all!
Love,
Dina

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for shar4ing Liam's continued fight against NB -- it is so touching and so scarey to think what every little ache and pain could possibly mean for Grier. Liam, Grier, and both families will be in my continuing prayers.

Funny that Grier didn't recognize himself and when he did realize that it was him, he moved on quickly -- smart little guy!! No need to go there, MOM!!

I know you and Hayes enjoyed your time together last week -- always feels good to clean!! Can't imagine why you haven't done so in the past year. I don't have an excuse!!

Hope you're enjoying summer and will have fun with the Caldwell boys next week at the beach. Enjoy these lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer!

Lots of love,

Betty G

Anonymous said...

I have been in baby land...but I am so happy to check in and see the wonderful news! I look forward to meeting all of you in the fall.

Angela Shea

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's