Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Well-- I should start by saying I have calmed down a lot before writing this post!

Our day started as usual-- busy with 3 kids, trying to pack, and passing off the torch to my mom so she could take over for us for a few days at our house!

Our flight was fine-- delayed a little but fine-- and Thank God FREE! We arrived at the RMDH a little later than normal and Jeff immediately left to go to the hospital to get our bag of "goodies" (no-- not anything fun-- SSKI drops!!( the worst 7 drops one will ever taste!)-- a urinal... a contraption to keep the urine in-- and the contrast that Grier has to drink tomorrow at 6:30 am!)-- I went in to set up our room-- and then we were going to go to dinner-- Well--- There was a problem--- NO ROOM AT THE INN~ I said.. WHAT?-- I emailed yesterday to let you all know I was not coming until today-- and they did not get it so they gave our reservation away today-- NICE-- I asked-- Why did you not call?-- ( They have all of our numbers!!)-- Oh-- "We do not do that!" OK-- So,-- I was too mad to cry-- and they were NO help! I asked for numbers of HOTELS around the hospital--- and they did not have a suggestion-- And I am getting really mad-- because they had no compassion-- I was not there for a vacation-- So, I called the social worker-- she gave me some numbers to call-- meanwhile I am on the phone in the lobby and Grier is getting upset and wants to go HOME!! After a few calls-- I found a room for tonight-- packed Grier and our luggage up and attempted to walk to the hospital to get Jeff-- did not get too far!! Way to many things to manage-- we waited outside of the RMDH until Jeff got back with our bag- While I was waiting outside the lady that gave the reservation away said-- Did you find a room? I said yes... and she said was it expensive-- I almost said *#% woman does it really matter at this point-! But I did not! So-- long story short-- We are not homeless tonight-- we are at a medical hotel across from MSKCC-- and tomorrow we will have to check out-- schlep our bags to the hospital while we are there for a full day of scans! After we finish we will go to another hotel -- about 9 blocks up and we will stay for 2 nights-- And I am trying to come home Friday night-- The RMDH does not know when they have an open room -- so instead of staying Friday night at the $$$$ room -- we will just come home on USAIR--!

Yes -- I have learned a lesson-- I should not count on things going smoothly-- I will call ahead and check myself-- I will just add it to the rest of the stuff I had to do yesterday! But the RMDH should call someone before giving away a reservation that someone has had for over a month-- courtesy to say the least-- and they need to remember why these families are there-- NOT VACATION--!

We are now in the midst of the 1st hour of the urine collection!!! We will be done around 11pm! We lost a lot of time trying to find somewhere to stay and this is the best day to do this test!! Just bad time of day!!!

We are suppose to be at the PDH-- around 7:30-- but our procedure is not until 11am! Why so early? Well-- the 9th floor is crazy-- sounds overbooked and we will be waiting to get a slot to get cleared for anesthesia!-- His MRI and CT will be around 11am-- under anesthesia-- so we should be out of the hospital by 2-- to check-in to our new room!

I always say-- tomorrow will be better and it better be --- or at least easier! And I guess we can forget getting Mets tickets from the RMDH-- oh well-- I know we will be here for many more games! Cancer SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy! I am so sorry your day was absolutely rotten. Indeed you all are nowhere near being on vacation and so many people there should already realize that and sympathise. Well, true to form, you once again held it together and remedied a bad situation. Absolutely the Ronald should have checked in with you re: rsvn planned for a month. I'm with you. If you had a history of breaking rsvns without notice, I could see.
Truly tomorrow will have to be a better day. I sure hope everything looks up from here. So much for going off without incident today. Sleep well and we're praying for and thinking of you all this week while you're in NYC.
Lots of love and any patience I can send your way...
Dina

Mary Ellen Paine said...

All I can think to say is I am sorry. I am sorry you have had such a rough time during such a rough period. I will pray that today is better and that you find some peace while Grier goes thru his scans.
I am very glad Jeff is with you. I am sad that no compassion was shown to you being you are probably the most compassionate person I know.
So much love and prayers to you. And remember all of Charlotte is on your side.
Lots of Love,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Jeff,
Keep your chins up...we're all praying for you.
Quote for the day - "Where we stand is not as important as the direction in which we are going." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Remember, you are headed in the right direction and things will get better.
Love ya,
The Graysons

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's