Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Well- Since it is JULY 1st--- I thought I better update!! Summer is flying by!! We had a great time at the beach last week--- I think I could have stayed a few more weeks-- you can not beat waking up to seeing and hearing the ocean! I still can not believe how different this year was-- Grier only had to take Accutane 2 times a day (he was very proud to show everyone how he can swallow a pill too!!) Last year, he was IV antibiotics every 8 hours-- IV nutrition... and other meds--- a port that we wrapped every time we went outside--- ETC. !!! Sunscreen (aka "scum scream")-- was the main issue this year-- and we made it without being burned!! And the only medical emergency was for Jeff!! Yes-- we had a 911 call and they came quickly and checked him out--- he is fine now and seemed to have a quick virus??? Who knows-- ! Never a dull moment!

Before we left for the beach-- we were busy with swimming and baseball--- I was making arrangements for our next trip to NY-- and a referral was made for Grier's Make -A- Wish trip! Exciting huh? Hayes and Grace are trying to talk him into Atlantis-- and he is set on Disney-- We do not have a date yet-- and it all will depend on the treatment plan that we follow next-- AND when we can take more time off from working!!

We will head to NY next week for scans-- this time they have added a MRI of the brain-- I was a little thrown off by this at first but after a few questions I feel better-- NB Relapse happens often in the head/brain and they have started doing this MRI every 6 months so they can kept closer tabs on the area--all the other scans will continue to be every 3 months-
So-- He will have an MRI and CT scan on the Wednesday-- then on Thursday will have his MIBG injection and on Friday-- it will be the MIBG scan with bone marrows- I hope we will go on Tuesday-- but I am not sure yet! I hope to be back Saturday morning-- the worst part is we will miss the All-Star tournament that Hayes is playing in!!

We went and had the HAMA test done yesterday at the Charlotte Clinic-- and the blood is on its way to NY-- I am not sure exactly how much it matters --BECAUSE we found out that since he has gotten four rounds of 3F8 -- this may be it for the current protocol he is on! I know some of you are confused but there are a lot of different 3F8 protocols-- we started NED ( no evidence of disease)... it was he first remission ... and he tested HAMA positive before round 4-- So, hopefully our scans will be good... NED! And the team will meet to see what to do next- He still has one more cycle of accutane to complete too- Not only do we have the anxiety of scans next week but also waiting to see what is next!

I am sure I have forgotten lots of important information!--- There are some people I would like to thank-- Kim R.-- for the gift and the anonymous gift that was given to us by Ted ( Jeremy's Dad)! Please tell them thanks from all of us!

There are still lots of magnets left--- Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of them???! And a few T-shirts!

That is it for now--- I will update when I find out our plans for next week!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a wonderful trip to the beach - the sun and salt water can always make you feel better. We are heading to the beach for the long weekend - I am sure it will be a zoo down there but it will be nice to just get away. It sounds as though you have a busy time ahead so I hope you were able to rest up for it while you were at the beach.

I am sorry you will have to miss the All Star game - I hope someone can video tape it for you. I know I never want to miss my kids activities and even though they are 14 and 17 now and say I don't need to be there - as a Mom I still want to go!

I hope the Make A Wish trip gets arranged. I have been watching Sportscenter with my son and they have had a different sports wish on each day this week. I just love seeing these kids who have been through so much having their dreams come true.

I will be thinking of you and praying that Grier continues to improve and that your trip to New York will be short and successful. Have a wonderful 4th of July - I hope you can go see some fireworks!!

Patti

Anonymous said...

Amy,
So glad you had a great trip to the beach...for your sake, I wish it would have been a few weeks longer as well. Indeed, there is nothing like the sound of the ocean to go to sleep by and wake by. Seeing and hearing the ocean has such a calming effect on me.

Bummed that you have to miss Hayes' All-Star game...he's such a good little player...surely he knows how much you want to be there. Of course, he understands whether you want him to or not. As Patti said, hopefully someone can tape it for you to see when you come home.

Sure hope you all get to go to Disney...for Grier's benefit...might as well be what he wants. Though, I'll admit, I'd so much rather Atlantis...AWESOME! Hope all goes well in the planning dept.

Hope your trip to NY goes well...with no incident, or as few as possible! Thinking of you and looking forward to going ot the pool and/or lunch with you when you're able. Mitch is in camp 9-3 this week heading into July 4. Let us know when you're available after this week. Looking forward to catching up!

And I like "scum scream"...we have been known to call it "sunscream!"

Thinking of you all...with love,
Dina

Mary Ellen Paine said...

Happy to hear you had a great trip. Sorry about Jeff. Hope he is feeling better.
Exciting news about Make A wish,what a great foundation.
Sorry you will miss the All Star games. I am sure that is tough for you.
We will continue to pray for clean scans and for the news of what will be next.
Please know we think of you daily and never forget you in our hearts and prayers.
Love to you all,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be back at the beach... at least it's nice here in Charlotte this week! So happy that it was a wonderful and almost uneventful week. I know you all enjoyed the freedom that has come with Grier's terrific progress. Go Grier Go!!

I think most adults and older kids would vote for Atlantis, but Grier needs Disney! Just try to make it happen in the cooler months!

Hope all will go well in NYC on the next trip -- can't believe it's that time again. Seems like you just got home from there. I think of you every day and pray that Grier will forever be NED!!

I was in Houston for a few days and Sarah asked about Grier -- she was happy to hear that he is doing so well! We're off to Seattle next week so will check your blog from there.

Even when you are out of town or I am out of town, I check the blog and say my prayers and thanks to God for Grier's continuing good health!

Love and prayers,

Betty G

Anonymous said...

Love seeing the thick brown hair curling around his temples as he "swallows" the fish!! Praying for you daily...your family is never far from my thoughts. Happy 4th!

Rusty and Fielding

Mary Ellen Paine said...

Thinking of you all. Happy fourth hope you are doing something fun.
Love,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news !!! Hope Grier continues to be NED. Tell Hayes "good Luck" on the All Stars games. Sorry the two of you will miss them.

I know Grier is excited about his trip. Certainly you can't beat Disney.

Still check the Blog every day or so and am actually happy to see days between updates on Grier.

Many prayers and hope for continued good health for Grier and all of your family members.

Love,
Mrs. D.

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's