Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bass fishing with Hayes--- 
Look what I caught!


I HAD to replace my Jake jersey--- :)


I'm a Kindergartner Today!
My backpack is HUGE!
5th Grade here I come-

The excited 7th grader~


Summer is officially over and school has begun for our house--- 2 out of 3 are very excited... and I am sure Hayes is too but just does not want to show us too much!  We had a very busy weekend last weekend... and the boys had an awesome time fishing on Mountain Island Lake with their own fisherman "Carl"-- lots of fish were caught and Grier only "almost" fell out of the boat once--- at least that is what he said and Jeff did not disagree.
Grace had a good time back on the soccer field -- it was fun to watch her do what she loves to do-- but by Sunday we were melting it was so hot!  The panther game was fun... Grier made his first stop in the team store-- he told us he could not wear a Jake jersey to the game because he did not play for them anymore... and he could still wear it if he was going to a Brown's game... Oh my gosh... he can always talk his way into a new jersey--- this time he spent his own money which is always fun to watch... it is hard to part with those dollars sometimes.... 
Sunday night we did have a change in plans and our friends could not fly here so we did not get to see them or Jack Johnson... that would be neuroblastoma's fault- ! Our friend Liam ,needs every one's good thoughts, prayers, good vibes as he continue to battle the beast.  It is really scary how quickly things can change...

The beginning of the week we had lunch with friends, went to the doctor and had many school activities.... all were great-
The doctor visit was a complete surprise-- his counts looked great and he is ready to start chemo again on Monday the 30th-  He also looked great on his exam and was silly as ever--  I always read way too much into what is said... and how long he looks at him... clearly I should know by now looks don't always matter on the outside-- it is what is inside that I worry about and a daily CT is not good so I should stop thinking about it-- I can feel scanxiety creeping in--- we will go to NYC 14-21 days after we start chemo this Monday-- It feels like it has been forever since Grier and I were there and I got called in to get the "relapse news"... May was really not that long ago... I am really anxious to hear what they suggest-- 

Grier met his teachers and we are looking forward to a great year.  One of Grier's teachers worked with me at Park Road Elementary (long ago) and it made me feel great to see a familiar face--- The connections I made from those years at Park Road have brought me great comfort during our WDS days and at Elizabeth Traditional-- now I can add Selwyn to the list.... 

Today was his big "first" day (his school does a staggered entry)... and he was excited... he did not say he was nervous--- and if he was he would have let me know :)  He told Grace last night before he went to bed that he would "see her tomorrow at Selwyn"- I guess he forgot he was going to ride to school with her!  I was ok this morning-- no tears-- just a smile and a wave good-bye--as Jeff took Grier and Grace to school-- I really thought it would be better to separate from him rather than me and it seemed to work out well-- whew! It was great to get to this milestone and know how happy and prepared he was about it.... I have done so many things in the last three years that were so much harder than letting him go to kindergarten--- so it was a good day for me to see him reach this point.. It certainly made me realize why we have fought like hell the past few years... and we will keep fighting..

He just got off the bus.. he said he had a good day.. so we will have a few days off... and start going everyday next Tuesday... well, that is if chemo's side effects don't get the best of him.  

That is it for the update... more to come next week as he fights through another 5 days of chemo-- who knows how we will deal with school days too-- one day at a time, right?  I am going to worry about that later... today I am waiting to hear all about kindergarten and going to finish filling out TONS of forms for the threesome!

"If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell." - Lance Armstrong





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Tears of joy as I read this and thankfulness as Grier and the whole family begin the school year. Love to you all! Nancy Williams

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's