Tuesday, August 31, 2010

your turn.....

Today... I guess was the beginning of a new routine!  I will not lie and tell you that the mornings don't come too soon... ugh! The 7:30 start time for school is going to be painful....  Grier got up fine this morning and ate a little... he is just not quite awake.  I ended up taking them to school and as we were driving, Grier informed me that he is fine walking in by himself--- actually he was more than fine with it-- he KNEW where to go!  I was ready to walk him in on his first real day but also thrilled that he wanted to do this by himself.  I also wanted to tell his teachers about leaving early but Grier said he would tell them and also would give them the note--- really could not argue with him... so off he and Grace went into school--solo!  I came back home to get Hayes off and had a few moments of quiet before it was time to go back to school to pick him up.  Grier's class was on their way to lunch as I got there so I scooped him out of line and of we went to the clinic for chemo!  Really that does not even sound right!!! Chemo went just as well as his half day of kindergarten...  I still can not believe the scenes that play out in the infusion room.... other kids getting sick behind the curtain... blaring TVs and Grier blocks it all out--- not me.... today I was having a harder time with the "gag reflex" -- just trying to tune out the surroundings while I was tracing NFL teams!!!!  We were home by lunchtime.... and before we knew it the bus was dropping Grace off... homework had started... Hayes was home... baseball etc.... Chemo was a distant memory for Grier.... After dinner, Grier did his homework and went to bed... He is so tired.  I would be too-- he has been non-stop since the bus came with his friend.  He was eating corn on the cob tonight and we had an emergency... he bit into the corn and one of his loose teeth became even looser but did not come out--- He was screaming.... and at first we thought he was going to "blow" but after he pointed to his tooth we knew he was going to be OK.... I wish the tooth had just come out because he is so worried about it-- and he says it hurts!


Tomorrow is September 1st-- I wrote earlier that it was Childhood Cancer Awareness month-- and it is... for most of you.  I am aware 24/7 how much funding children cancers do not get compared to other cancers--- there is not a moment that I don't think about it --- I am not alone.... the other parents in the "club" I am in think about it 24/7  too- My friend, Gretchen said it best- "Why don’t people understand that what’s happening to my precious child could be happening to their child just as easily? We should all care and get involved and demand more for our children and be outraged that we’ve accepted this as a nation.”     That is about the only time I ask "why"..... I can not tell you how many times I have been emailed or called and told "I have a friend whose child has been diagnosed with...... ( some kind of Pediatric Cancer)"--- today it was Neuroblastoma.  Yes, Friends... it happens everyday--- somewhere 46 families a day are told that "your child has cancer"--- there is no magic age.... under 20 is considered pediatric cancer.  Scary.. I know-- I heard those words.... actually 3 times and it does not get easier like I thought!  I have seen the "talk" in the hospitals--- and the looks on the families faces are the same-- I have overheard conversations on the crowded NYC elevators... kids being told that you can't go to college right now because they have to start chemo--- I was also in an elevator when a little girl that was grace's age, was told about her treatment plan-- her leg had been hurting a LONG time... thought it was due to sports but turns out it was cancer.... obviously they were talking about her having babies one day... and the little girl barely understood she had eggs much less they needed to save them-  


Pediatric cancer remains the number one disease that claims the lives of our children. Each year cancer kills more kids under the age of 18 than asthma, diabetes, cystic fibrosis and AIDS combined. Yet pediatric cancer research is grossly underfunded by the government and largely ignored by pharmaceutical companies. Imagine being told that your child has a 30 percent chance to live and that the reason why is directly related to how little money is spent on research.  


so, what are you gonna do to help? I hope you do something this month to make a difference... I am going to while Grier is getting treatment AGAIN... so if I have time I bet you do too~













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Just want you to know we are doing something here in Greenville, SC. We are having an enormous bake sale because of you!!!! You are an inspiration to me as a mom.

We have over 175 people signed up to bake. Shannon Cole, a NB parent, daughter is Marett, is on the planning team. She hasn't given me any of her names yet...so .....our sale is going to be huge. I have a goal of 15,000.00.

Please know I care so much and pray for all of you esp. Grier every day. Thank you for inspiring me to do this CFKC sale in Greenville :)

Laura Black

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's