Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Today was definitely a LONG day"





I wanted to do this Blog early before I forgot all the crazy details of this day.....

We got to the clinic at 9:30--- and for the first time in a LONG time I did the valet at the clinic--mainly because I am so tired of driving in the parking deck-- I swear I need a smart car to fit into those parking spaces... and the other day I decided I was just taking 2 spots.... it was going to be easier to get Grier in and out-- so I DID!-- Well-- some woman who had nothing else to do decided to scream at me --- She was mad I took two spots ( I was on the 5th level!!)--- I smiled at her as I loaded Grier into the stroller and turned it to face her and said-- Have a GREAT day! Anyway... that is why I needed a break from that awful parking deck near the clinic-- BUT that was mistake number ONE----

They accessed his port in clinic-- gave him the "G-SHOT"... and Dr. M looked in Grier's mouth---- ( he has a mouth full of sores....YUCK--- they are from chemo and he has chewed the inside of his lip a little--- really not a problem for the normal person BUT a HUGE problem for someone who does not have an immune system... like Grier!! Dr. M gave me another prescription called magic mouth wash to help with the pain-- I decided to take it downstairs to the pharmacy to get it filled while we waited for his lab work to come back--- After all this we went back up to the clinic and found out that he needed red blood and platelets--- Arrgh--- I knew that takes at least 5 hours--- if everything is running well-- We tried to start platelets but the infusion room was FULL-- so we went back into an exam room-- not a big deal--- unless all of a sudden your stomach starts cramping and diarrhea happens--- REALLY?? I never saw that coming-- I was a little worried I did not have any extra clothes since the restroom is really far away from the exam room-- so I asked for a pull-up and all they had was a 2-3---- surprisingly it fit-- snug... but he could get it on :( That would be MISTAKE #2--- not being prepared!! Finally we were at a point we could hook him up to the platelets and start-- we then had to walk over to the Day Hospital to finish platelets and start blood--- Well--- it is 1 at this point and I am doing the math with the time and wonder how I am going to get my car from Valet in the other building-- Everyone was very nice and said security would get my keys but I would have to walk Grier back over to the clinic after the infusion was done--- All I could think about was the under 18 rule!! It was going to be an obstacle-- !! Grier continued having stomach problems but luckily we had a infusion bay close to the bathroom--- I finally called to get Imodium--- BUT that was the next obstacle--- I could hear our nurse call pharmacy to see when it was coming and the last time I heard her say-- it has been over 3 1/2 hours--- ! It had--- I told her I was going to move my car from the other building to the deck closer to LCH and while I was there I was going to buy some Imodium from the pharmacy! She said-- I am calling to tell them what you just said--- and she did-! I left and almost ran to the clinic to get my car and the Imodium while Grier hung out getting blood with the nurse-- As soon as I got back-- guess what was on the counter.... Imodium!! So, we now have two bottles to add to the collection!
As you can see by the pictures you can see that Grier perked up --- He looked really bad this morning and after the transfusion he seemed to be feeling better--- except for his mouth-- We finally left the Day Hospital at 6:35--- And as soon as we drove in the driveway.. Grier said, " That was definitely a long day!"

The good news of the day was that we have a T-shirt design for the Go Grier Go team --- I am going to post it as soon as I can and I am going to need a QUICK response if you want to get one-- I will put all the info out on the BLOG or CB as soon as I know--- This is not a MUST if you are walking -- This is also not a FUNDRAISER--- It will just be a team shirt to wear on Nov. 7th--- I can't wait to post it because it looks pretty cool! So... think about sizes you will need so you can get back to me ASAP as soon as I ask for the info---- NOT NOW!!!

And on the dishwasher front---- it was put in today!!! I had lots of help today between Nancy picking up Grace, Michael coming to my house to meet the dishwasher guy, Jenny dropping Hayes off, and dinner!!! Thanks---

What a DAY!!!
Amy


1 comment:

debbie ohara said...

You have always said you like funny stories so I had to comment that when you mentioned the part about having diarrhea and cramps and having no extra clothes, I thought you meant YOU!!! Now that might have made your day a little more complicated!! :-)

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's