Friday, October 26, 2007

A day of waiting and then a surprise!

We set off for the hospital this morning around 7:40-- we were told no later than 8:00-- This is getting a little old-- we just waited around until 10-- then they gave him anesthesia and started the MIBG-- after that was done he was wheeled up to the procedure room and was in Line for his turn for bone marrow aspirations-- He woke up not very happy and we were ready to leave when we got a phone call-- It was the nurse practitioner from Dr. LaQuaglia's office-- she wanted to see us again-- we met him yesterday-- So, we went over there after he settled down a bit-- When we walked in they said Grier could have surgery on Monday- This was a shock to us since we were told yesterday the schedule was booked for at least 4 weeks and into January--So, the whirlwind started again-- Grier was more than ready to get out of there and we were busy answering questions and checking him over-- There is one thing that will stop the surgery-- his counts are a little low-- so they started neupogen today again -- but they do not do it like we do in CLT-- they do a shot--- and I have not given shots before nor do I want to! So, they inserted an IV type thing in his leg and I put the needle in that instead of his skin-- It was and is very painful-- as well as the soreness from the bone marrow aspirations- He has had a day--- Today was much like the first day of CMC in March-- things going so fast and watching him scream in pain--not what you want to see your child doing!

About the surgery-- it is long-- we are told to expect anywhere from 8-14 hours-- the surgeon answers the time question like this-- "As Long as it takes!" Everyone here thinks highly of him and he has done this surgery a lot -- We are also told to expect Grier to be on a ventilator for a few days-- in PICU (across the street NY Presbyterian Cornell) And hopefully out of the hospital in 10-14 days- barring no complications- I am not going into too much detail because I am worried my kids may read it-- but we will need lots of prayers for the surgeon and Grier-- I will be updating on Monday as we get updates-- we should hear something every 1 1/2 hours-- Please do not call-- just look at the web page-- Recovery will be long-- 10-14 days?? Grier will need to get his lungs back in shape-- and wounds will need to heal-- We are once again in a quick time frame but we know this surgeon is the one we trust to do this serious surgery- We have listened to stories from folks from all over and tears come to their eyes talking about their child's surgery and the Dr.-- everyone says he goes to church at 6am before each surgery -- Some call him St. Mike-

Thanks for all the packages today-- it was like Christmas for Grier-- he had a good time opening things!! Little cards and toys are fine but the best thing would be to donate toys to ChildLife at Levine or the CMC oncology clinic in Grier's honor-- remember we have a little plane to fly back to Charlotte and we are living in close quarters! You all are so generous and I know everyone wants to do something-- so please donate books or toys to the new hospital or clinic-- even happy meal toys (unopened) are great for there prize drawer--

Grace and peace-
Amy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Great surprise! We won't bombard your phone but send hugs,kisses lots of love and of course constant prayers!! Walker said to give Grier,"a high five"! As always we are only a phone call away if you need us!
Love you lots,
Julie,Daryl,Walker&Mary Claire

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a day you have had and what surprising and wonderful news!! It does truly sounds like your surgeon is a saint. Rest assured, our prayers will be with Grier, Dr. LaQ, his staff and you all as you wait on Monday and the days beyond. Lots of love is being sent your way!
Nancy, Alan, Caroline, James & William

Anonymous said...

Amy - what a wonderful surprise and great news to hear today. I know this is bittersweet, the surgery is needed to make him better and yet it is so hard to let him go and sit and wait to get updates. I will be thinking of you even more on Monday and will light a candle while Grier is in surgery.

Wish I was there to give you a hug, hold your hand or even to bring you chocolate like the wonderful Mark Diehl did for me while Drew was in surgery!

These are a couple of my favorite bible passages that helped me get through the days ... I hope they can bring you some comfort.

I lift up my eyes to the hills— from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27: 1 and 14

Anonymous said...

You did take NYC and MSKCC by storm -- you got there, went through a few procedures, and the next thing you know, Grier is scheduled for surgery! How great that things have moved so quickly!Your emotions must be all over the place with the news today -- so happy and yet so scared. You've been there before and handled everything so well that we all you you'll do it again. Know that everyone who knows and loves your family will be praying so very hard and steadfast on Monday and for the days of Grier's recovery. We'll pray for the surgeon's expert and gentle hands to work his miracles on Grier. We'll pray for peace and patience for you and Jeff as you await Grier's return to recovery from the OR and the days that follow. We'll pray for Hayes and Grace and Maggie as they keep the home fires burning through recovery and your stay in NYC. And we'll pray for Grier to recover more quickly than expected and smile those bigger-than-life smiles!

Thoughts and prayers are with you tonight. Enjoy your weekend with the fam!

Betty G

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I am beyond excited!! Hannah and I spoke yesterday and both agreed how wonderful it would be if the doctor said today, "Let's just go ahead with the surgery since you have 2 children back in Charlotte and Grier is more than ready and in good shape to do so!" Can you believe it? I'm sure you and Jeff are overwhelmed and are having an interesting time digesting everything; however, this is what you've waited for and I am so thrilled that you trust Dr. LaQ unconditionally with Grier's ever-sweet precious life!!!!!

Our thoughts and prayers remain steadfast and true and will be with you during Grier's recovery and beyond. Hopeful that all goes extremely well on Monday and that Grier's amazing love for life helps him recover quickly!!

Went to FP for the Roger Day concert tonight. Mitch and Adam had a blast...our first RD concert! We are now the owners of 2 CDs...we listened on the way home. Let me know if I can send music for Grier...and a device to play it on, if necessary...I would be happy to:)

Infinite love and non-stop prayers to you all...sleep well!
Dina

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I talked to Leah a couple of hours ago. She is registered with CaringBridge and received your update via her blackberry. She immediately called with the great news and I quickly got Woods and SK in the bed and have been trying to register with CaringBridge ever since. There must be something wrong with my computer because I can’t figure out how to register as a guest! I want you to know that we will be praying diligently for Grier and his surgeon all day Monday. I can’t imagine the emotions you must be feeling right now but please know that we love you and are thinking of you. Grier is a very strong little boy with the best possible surgeon and an army of prayer warriors.

We love you,
Troy, Ben, Sara Kathryn and Woods

Mary Ellen Paine said...

I just got home from Sarah's rehearsal dinner and Dina left me a message to check the blog. I was going to,since it is the first thing I do when I have been out for a while. I am so happy. Those prayers are paying off and we are just going to keep praying harder and harder.
You have had a big day and I am sure you are exhausted but I do want you to know you are in our hearts and our prayers. I have such a strong feeling about all of this.
Thinking of you always.
The Paine's

Anonymous said...

OH MY....Prayers answered!

I just got in from a dinner club thing, and the sitter said, call Dina no matter how late it is. Of course, I first checked 'your blog update' and was floored/happy/dancing/fearful all at the same time. I am thrilled that Grace and Hayes and Maggie are coming tomorrow and that you will have some quality time together. I know you miss them so much.

As you have heard a million times...our prayers will especially be with you this weekend and Monday. You know the PICU nurses are the brightest/smartest/kindest/most compassionate of all nurses/people in the whole world :) I am thrilled to know that Dr. LaQ is a man of faith. Be sure to tell him that the Charlotte folks want him in bed by 9 pm on Sunday. No Sunday NY Giants games or beer allowed either.

We are all cheering him on..."Go Grier Go!"

Love and faith sent north to you!
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I can only imagine how overwhelmed you both must be. It must have been such a hard day seeing Grier in pain. I feel sure your emotions are all over the board right now and then needing to put on your game face for the weekend. I think this is that time where God just picks you up now and carries you through the next few weeks. We are praying here in PA for you all and especially your so sweet and brave little boy Grier. Maybe you could let us all know about what time the surgery will start and we could all stop what we are doing and pray together. I know there are so many that want to help and come together with all of our prayers and strength.
Thinking of you all constantly,
Stephanie G.

Anonymous said...

Amy-
I'll be praying like crazy at 12:00 tomorrow....I've set my phone alarm!!!
When I started teaching at FPC, Susan Leary was my assistant! We are still close friends....'cause she's a GREAT friend!!!
When my son had to have surgery years ago, I remember asking Jesus to stand by his bed during surgery and hold his hand....because I couldn't. It comforted me and I'll bet you could ask Him to do it too!!! God will be with Grier always!
Debbie O'Hara

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's