Monday, May 24, 2010

oops---- THURSDAY was a long time ago.....



I guess those that have read this blog for a long time know that I do not update when everything is going well.... or if I am too busy.... this time the reason was that I was too busy.  I was very thankful for adrenaline this weekend.... because that is what I was surviving on....Grier has been feeling pretty lousy and the vomiting increased to almost every 30 minutes early Friday morning (12:30am)...  and it continued all day Friday and into Saturday.  We tried almost everything we could try and nothing was giving him a break.  He was worn out... and so was I.   Friday night was "family night" -- not really but we were all up at LCH hanging in Grier's room while he was in and out of sleep... Jeff stayed and I came home to sleep a little...
Saturday was much of the same.  He slept a lot and still had vomiting episodes.... I had planned to help at the Cookies For Kids Cancer "little" bake sale at the ALL-Star race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway... even though I was dead tired I went and had fun with the small crew that we had at the race.... Tons of race face heard me tell them that pediatric cancer needs more funding... and thank them for their donation to the bake sale... It was the break ( not really a break ) that I needed from the hospital but it still left me feeling like I was doing something to help, Grier and other kids.  There was nothing I could do at the hospital except watch Grier sleep.... I have some funny stories about me and my lack of knowledge about race car drivers... but I will spare you.... just put it this way.... I know who #3 is and I will never forget!  This Bake Sale was a "dry-run" for the BIG sale on Sunday.

Sunday was super busy... I knew it was going to be... even before relapse... because of the Cookies For Kids Cancer Bake Sale at Taylor's Finish Line Festival...  Busy was an understatement... but again I was glad to be out there trying to make a change.  Grace and I were helping for most of the day... She had a great time.  We had to leave mid-afternoon because a couple of weeks ago we found out Grace was getting an award at the Charlotte United Soccer Club banquet.  So, we raced home .. changed from Cookies attire to banquet attire... Grace had a great time with her team and coach, who by the way won Girls Coach of the year.... Grace won the "CUFC spirit award"---

Grier remains the same for the most part... he is quiet.... not feeling great and not playing.  His vomiting has slowed down a little.  He was finally discharged from CMC on Sunday morning.  I had requested a backpack of fluids  because I did not want to worry about him drinking.... he has not had anything but sips since Wednesday.... and nothing to eat.  We ended up getting the fluids delivered to our house and they added a medication to hook up to his IV every 3 1/2 hours... He slept most of Sunday... still not talking----  Sunday night I was exhausted--- so much so I was wishing we were at LCH... not because I can sleep there but just because I can emotionally take care of Grier and not have to mentally do the medications too--

Today we had an early clinic visit.... Grier was still not close to feeling well.... so they gave him more fluids.... more meds... and had to change his port... and re -access him... and give him the first shot to start increasing his white blood count.  What a day when you already feel bad...  We will have to go back in the morning to make sure his sodium and potassium levels are coming back to normal... we will also find out if he is without an immune system.  We think that will be the case.... because tomorrow is day 8 after ICE.....

We finally came home and Grier had a visit from Mrs. Nickell, one of his teachers.  And I got to see a smile that I have not seen in days... He also played the wii a little and flew his new helicopter.  This was a big day at our house.  Later in the afternoon he got sick again.... this chemo has really hit harder than I thought.

Thanks for all the meals... and rides and everything... Grier has lots of things to open but has not been in the mood to do it.  Also thanks to the orange sharks... the picture that you took at the T-ball game was great.  We have looked at it a lot.  And a huge thank you to our friends that came out to the bake sale to help....  also to Olivia and Sinclair.... your idea with the baseball T's is awesome ... Grier loves the Astros shirt... so I am not thinking that will be on the quilt.... but I know he will love each shirt that is on the quilt.

1 comment:

Ashley Pollock said...

Ok that schedule would have exhausted me without the constant vomiting, med supplying, blood checking additions.

Wow. You are so entitled to lock the doors and turn off the phone.

And Grier your body is fighting the bad stuff -- way to go buddy!

Grace -- that is the award that makes every Mother and Father as proud as they can. Congrats.
xxoo.
Ashley.

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's