Monday, September 21, 2009



Grier is starting the first of 2 cycles of high-dose cyclophosphamide-irinotecan-vincristine today ( we have been there since 10am so we are still waiting for pharmacy!)
-
-- I am a little nervous about the irinotecan because it causes a lot of diarrhea- and when we did chemo 2 years ago he was not potty trained so we will see how it goes- The plan is to stay 2 nights and leave after the infusion is done on Wednesday-- then go to the clinic on Thursday and Friday for the rest each day-- We can not do the cyclo out patient because it fries your bladder so you have to make sure you are peeing enough -- this is why I do not want to start this late because he will be up all night--- I guess that is a lost cause now- the infusion is 6 hours!

Grier made the transition back to Levine better than I expected-- He wanted to go to school and I told him we could not go today and he said what about tomorrow??? And then I broke the news that we had to go to the hospital to get some medicine that will get rid of all the bad cells that we can not see-- And then the tears came.... not really because I said we were going to have a sleepover there but because he knows the medicine comes out a tube and he knew his "button" aka mediport would have to accessed with a gigantic gauge needle and he HATES that-- So I had the sales job on-- we were going to play wii--- watch movies... do art.... and I would even get him a goldfish when we got home!! ( The goldfish was from this weekend when Grace asked if she scored 2 goals in soccer would I get her a goldfish--- I told her sure ... :) I was pretty sure that was a safe sure since she is a defender!!) So, Grier got on the goldfish bandwagon!! I guess it could be worse--- a puppy??? Ha!Ha!

After the port was accessed he had to get a flu shot--- so it was a tough morning and we had not even been to the hospital yet---

That is it right now-- try to update tonight--- right now I need to help with homework-- ( Grace not Grier :)

Pray for no side effects--- vomiting and such!!


ps-- I did teach Grier a new phrase today---- with the advise of another warrior... Liam's mom--- Today when he was so upset about all of it I told him he had a right to be mad and he could scream "THIS SUCKS" when he felt mad about going to the hospital and the doctor all the time-- so as we pulled into the parking deck--- I told him to give it a try--- and he squeaked out a THIS SUCKS--- and I told him he had to be louder than that!!! He just smiled and I told him I was OK with him saying that !!! Sorry if you don't agree but it really does suck that kids go through this-!

pictures are from this weekend--- scootering a week after surgery and sporting his new soccer uniform!!! ( Thanks Thomas for bringing it to him)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have been in my thoughts today as you begin the trek to Levine -- I agree with you and Grier that (1) Cancer sucks, (2) Chemo sucks, (3) ports suck, (4) going to the hospital for meds sucks, etc., etc., etc!!

In this morning with a whisper "This sucks", but out on Wednesday with a booming yell "This sucks!"

BTW, goldfish are easy, especially if you have a bowl w/ a filter. That's a pretty easy promise to keep. Keep it simple!

Love to you all and prayers UP the greenway to Levine tonight and tomorrow!

Betty G

Anonymous said...

Amy - I love the soccer picture what great memories it gives me! We never had cool uniforms however, I hate to hear of Grier's delays today! Sending some soccer mojo Grier's way. Think of you all!

Netha

Anonymous said...

Hi! Long overdue...my love prayers and concern for griers well-being have not faltered, only fallen off the wagon for a time. Oh so glad to see u at school once more! Long way from polkadotted maryjanes at covenant now big kids at AG! Wow! My heart is heavy for Grier and you all. Steadfast will be my prayers and my services ALWAYS available...no matter time or need! Will enjoy talking with you over lunch, starbucks, basket of clothes that need folding:) please call on me and KNOW I am here!!! Text me when running short on time and need help. All my love to your sweet loving family, especially G!
Dina

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's