Saturday, September 12, 2009

Things changed quickly-- in our favor this time!






I have often wondered in the past month how something can change from good to bad so quickly--- and today I got to see something change from bad to good very quickly--- It was just what the three of us needed after yesterdays horrible events- I got to the hospital around 8:30am to find Grier looking not so happy-- he was just staring at the TV waiting for breakfast to come-  Jeff said he had a good night and was awake for most of it-- I think he has been sleeping so much in the day that he sleep schedule is a bit off!  We got him to eat a few bites of breakfast and drink a little---All the doctors started doing rounds so it was one group after another and the word was we might be able to leave the hospital today-- We got him up and walking to make sure he was not in too much pain since we they switched him off of  IV fentanyl to oxycontin-- He did great and kept walking laps around the hospital floor-- Our nurse came by and said we could go as soon as we were ready -  he immediately started chatting and told me what he wanted to wear and was ready to GO!As we were walkig out we saw Dr. LaQuaglia at the door and he gave Grier a high five and said he would see us Monday and then we could go to "Carolina"--- then he started signing the James Taylor song- :)   We walked back to the Ronald and settled in-- I had to go back out and get his Oxycontin filled and get lunch-- when I got back Grier was sitting at the desk coloring and it was great to see-- He was moving all around the room and even squatting to pick up matchbox cars-- I was in awe and all of the last few days seemed a little surreal after watching him--- He ate lunch and you could tell he was hurting again.  He wanted to rest so we got him propped on the coach with a ton of pillows and he fell asleep for several hours-- When he woke up he was not feeling great.. he was wincing as he moved and I knew he was hurting-- it was time for his pain meds so as soon as that licked in we decided to get out of the room--- he needed to walk a little--we went to blockbuster and got a movie and then went by Lenny's for a turkey sandwich to go-- :) That sick feeling came over me as I watched him in pain again-- I really wonder how much pain since I know his pain tolerance is very high-- and he probably does not remember what it is like to not hurt. He ate a little dinner--- got his PJ's on and started watching his movie-- he is multi-tasking a bit -- he is also watching Nascar and Football-- He seems to be more comfortable now--  Tomorrow we will be doing nothing--- we may go to an art place down the street and pain but we will just play it by ear-- I know we have to do laundry-- and after waiting all day for a washer to come open-- which never happened! I am going to drop it across the street tomorrow and the fluff and fold!!!!!!   I have put some pictures on gogriergo.com -- they really show the progression of his mood today- Hopefully tonight will be good and we can all rest-- ps-- I forgot to tell you what happened when I was walking back from the hospital in the rain--- it was really windy and I was going back to shower -- I was about 2 blocks away and a huge gust of wind came and my Life is Good hat went flying into the street and traffic--it was all the way across the street and I said..... ( you can guess) -- I was not going to get the hat-- it was being run over by cabs and really Life was not so good at that moment--- so I just kept walking-- faster--- because I had a hat on for a reason!!!  And all of a sudden this lady taps me on the shoulder and hands me the hat!!! See NYers are nice!!   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright for the home team. Glad you are all together at the Ronald. And a big thank you to the lady tracking down the hat. Thinking you guys.

Netha

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about a better day.
It was amazaing to see the change with your pictures over a few days. Hopefully things will continue to improve daily. We will pray for good news, quick healing(physical and emotional) and you all back in the "Carolinas" soon. Just so you know, loved seeing the sweet photos of sweet and brave Grier who makes us all smile our biggest brightest smiles!!!

Stephanie G.

Mary Ellen Paine said...

I think maybe the hat being returned is a sign. Life is good maybe is what is going to happen. Hopefully good news will be coming your way. You know me I read into everything especially when I am wearing my prom dress.
Happy to see that sweet boy looking happier. Too much for him to go thru. Cannot wait to have you all back in Charlotte. Hope to see Grier at school soon.
Lots of love and prayers,
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are definitely in your favor. I agree with M.E.P. The lady returning your 'life is good' hat, is a sign.
Spoke with Janet yesterday. Guess she will have to get a DUMP truck ride later(just remembering her 50th!)
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
John and Dee Braswell

Anonymous said...

As I had tears in my eyes for all you are going through you made me laugh with your hat story. Some how you make us all feel good when we should be doing that for you all. Know that all in Carolina miss you and hope you had a good day in NYC. Love to you all.
The Norvells

GO STEEL FAB!

GO STEEL FAB!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Go Grier Go Magnets are Here!

Grier's address in NYC

Grier Christenbury
Ronald McDonald House of New York

405 East 73rd Street

New York, NY 10021

Before 3F8

Before 3F8

After 3F8

After 3F8
30 minutes later

Free Money for Go Grier Go!.. just by shopping online!!

iGive.com

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC

Grier leaving NY-pres and going back to MSKCC
www.cornellpediatrics.org-- Great hospital!

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street

Grier going for a ride in the ambulance across the street
just transporting-- not an emergency!

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor

Grier patiently waiting surgery to remove tumor
Monday 10/29/07

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park

Go Grier Go Picnic in the Park
Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

On the way to NYC!

On the way to NYC!

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC

Grier at the "new" clinic at CMC
Playing with the doctors and nurses 10/19/07

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

Some of our team at the Hopebuilders 5k

HOPE IS GOOD!!

HOPE IS GOOD!!

Supersib- GRACE

Supersib- GRACE

SuperSib-- HAYES

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!

Grier and his Wonder Pets fly boat cake!
I am 3!

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Grace at Covenant

Grier & Pat

Grier & Pat

Go Grier Go!

Go Grier Go!




Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's

Jack and Charlie wearing Go Grier Go T's